This month is Carbon Monoxide Awareness month in the UK. To do our bit, we’re continuing our series of articles on gas safety.
In last week’s blog we talked about carbon monoxide alarms, and the worrying stat that nearly 12 million UK homes don’t have one fitted.
This week, a similarly alarming figure: the Gas Safe Register, who carried out the research, said nearly half of people they asked couldn’t identify the signs of a dangerous gas appliance, one of the major causes of CO poisoning.
If you’ve got gas at home - whether it’s a gas boiler, gas cooker, gas fire or anything else - make sure you and your family know the tell-tale signs of a fault that could be putting you in danger:
- a lazy yellow flame instead of that familiar crisp blue colour
- soot or staining on or around the appliance
- excess condensation in the room
And remember that, even if you gas appliance seems to be working correctly, it still needs to be checked by qualified, registered professionals like XP Plumbing and Heating at least once a year.
If you’re concerned about any of your gas appliances, or you just think they’re due for a service from an expert, get in touch with XP Plumbing and Heating.
From our HQ in Sidcup, our friendly, experienced plumbers and engineers in their distinctive vehicles have great reach throughout the local area - including Eltham, Chislehurst, Bexleyheath, Bromley, Greenwich, Blackheath - and beyond that too, out into the rest of London and north Kent.